Image from the War Relocation Authority Photographs of Japanese-American Evacuation and Resettlement, 1942-1945, BANC PIC 1967.014--PIC, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.
The Bancroft Library
The Bancroft Library, founded as a private historical research library in the late 1850s by Hubert Howe Bancroft, was purchased by the Regents of the University of California in 1905 and moved the next year from San Francisco to Berkeley where it now functions administratively as a branch of The Library, University of California, Berkeley. The Bancroft Library is one of the largest libraries of manuscripts, rare books, and special collections in the United States. Among its components are the Bancroft Collection of Western Americana, the Bancroft Collection of Latin Americana, the Rare Books Collections, the Pictorial Collections, the Mark Twain Papers and Project, the Oral History Center, the History of Science and Technology Program, and the University Archives. The Bancroft Library's holdings include over 450,000 volumes, 40,000 linear feet of manuscripts, 7,000,000 photographs and other pictorial materials, 67,000 microforms, and 21,000 maps. The core of materials at the Bancroft Library provide in depth documentation and illustration of the history of the settlement of California, the American West and Mexico and Central America.