Foundations of Anthropology at the University of California   Seal of The University of California
Section 6 Composite

Section 6 Composite
Guide to the Collections, Staff, Anthropology Museum

Facilities and Staff
T

he Museum facility, conceived as a major program worthy of Hearst’s spectacular collections, and the activity closest to her heart, proceeded in a fashion that must have disappointed her greatly. She and Wheeler hoped to attract private funding for a building, but when it didn’t materialize Hearst provided a temporary structure, affectionately called the “Tin Shack” (now the site of Hertz Hall) in 1902. In 1903, most of the collections were removed to an unused building at the Affiliated Colleges in San Francisco where, at least in part, they could be stored and displayed. This arrangement eventually proved inconvenient to support the research and teaching programs in Berkeley so, in 1905, parts of the collections were returned to the “Tin Shack” which had been remodeled to serve as departmental offices, library, and classroom. The “Tin Shack” remained in use by the Department until 1953, when it was demolished and the anthropologists who had been there were moved to one of the “T” buildings (“temporarily” constructed during World War II). In 1931, most of the Department moved to the Civil Engineering Building (now the site of Campbell Hall). Finally, in 1960, the Department and Museum moved into their first permanent dedicated building, Kroeber Hall.

Anthropology Facilities, 1902-1960

Anthropology Building ('Tin Shack'), Berkeley, by A.L. Kroeber

Anthropology Building (“Tin Shack”), Berkeley, 1902

A. L. Kroeber, photographer

Courtesy P. A. Hearst Museum

Anthropology Museum, Affiliated Colleges, San Francisco, by S.M. Grow

Anthropology Museum, Affiliated Colleges, San Francisco, 1911

S. M. Grow, photographer

Courtesy P. A. Hearst Museum

Civil Engineering Building, Berkeley

Civil Engineering Building, Berkeley, ca. 1905

UARC PIC 10N:3

Kroeber Hall, Berkeley

Kroeber Hall, Berkeley, 1959

UARC PIC 16U:11

Archaelogical Research Facility, Berkeley

Archaeological Research Facility, 2000

Courtesy E. Contreras

Anthropology Department Staff, 1915-1916: Gifford, Waterman, Merriam, and 6 others

Anthropology Department Staff, 1915-1916

Gifford (standing left), Waterman (fourth from left), Merriam (far right)

Courtesy P. A. Hearst Museum

Anthropology Department Staff, Affiliated Colleges Building Steps, San Francisco: Nels C. Nelson, Kroeber, Ethel G. Field, Arthur Poyser, Arthur Warburton, Waterman

Anthropology Department Staff, Affiliated Colleges Building Steps

San Francisco, 1911

from left

Seated: Nels C. Nelson, Kroeber, Ethel G. Field; Standing: Arthur Poyser, Arthur Warburton, Thomas Waterman

Courtesy P. A. Hearst Museum