Foundations of Anthropology at the University of California   Seal of The University of California
Hacienda del Pozo de Verona

Hacienda del Pozo de Verona
Pleasanton, California
G. E. Gould, ca. 1900

Revival and Expansion (1945 - 1960)
R

apid changes came to the department after the war, as enrollments grew and the founding faculty began to retire. Kroeber retired in 1946, succeeded by Robert F. Heizer, a graduate of the department. An archaeologist, Heizer expanded the collections from California and Nevada, formalized in the UC Archaeological Survey in 1948 (succeeded by the current Archaeological Research Facility in 1960). John H. Rowe, arriving in 1948, continued the university tradition of research on Peruvian archaeology.

The programs extended well beyond North America: David G. Mandelbaum, hired in 1946, was the first American anthropologist to do fieldwork in India; William R. Bascom, hired in 1957, was an Africanist and successor to Gifford as museum director. Former student George M. Foster, hired in 1953, worked in Mexico. The faculty included world renowned physical anthropologist Sherwood Washburn (195878); Gerald Berreman, a specialist in India (1959 - 2001), and Laura Nader (1960 - present), specialist in the anthropology of the law and of science.

The year 1960 marked the end of an era. It was the year Kroeber died, a year after his long-time colleague Gifford, and three years after Lowie; and the department and the museum moved into the first permanent, specially designed building.

The history of anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley has significance far broader than in its own boundaries. The senior department in the western United States, one of the most important in the country, it has fulfilled the firm foundation of the teaching and research of Alfred Kroeber and the vision and support of Phoebe Hearst.

Ira Jacknis
Associate Research Anthropologist
Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology