Foundations of Anthropology at the University of California   Seal of The University of California
Hacienda del Pozo de Verona

Hacienda del Pozo de Verona
Pleasanton, California
G. E. Gould, ca. 1900

Transition (1920 - 1945)
T

he faculty grew with the 1921 hiring of Robert H. Lowie, a Plains Indian specialist. Gifford added teaching to his museum duties in 1920. Summer sessions included such illustrious anthropologists as Franz Boas, Bronislaw Malinowski, and Margaret Mead. A second publication series, Anthropological Records, appeared in 1937.

Graduate enrollments increased substantially during this period. In 1926 the departmentís third Ph.D. was awarded to William Duncan Strong, marking the beginning of an important cluster of graduate students including Anna Gayton, in 1928 the first woman to earn a doctorate, followed in 1930 by Lila OíNeale, who wrote an innovative dissertation on northern Californian basketry from the weaverís point of view.

Two students who later occupied teaching positions at the university were Theodore McCown and Ronald Olsen. McCown, professor of physical anthropology also taught archaeology. Olsen, an archaeologist and ethnographer, was one of the departmentís most popular teachers.

Activity declined during the Great Depression and World War II. Most teaching remained in the "Tin Shack," and the collections were housed in the Old Civil Engineering Building when they returned to Berkeley in 1931.